Apartheid was a system of racial segregation which was maintained in South Africa between 1948 and 1991. It aimed to regulate relationships between whites and non-whites and ensure the domination of the country’s white minority. Particularly infamous for the extreme cruelty that black South Africans were made to suffer, the apartheid regime was probably one of the most significant events of the 20th century, and was important for bringing Nelson Mandela into the spotlight. In just 50 minutes, you will find out how apartheid continues to shape the social and political reality in South Africa and understand its profound influence on interracial relationships in the country.
This straightforward and informative book provides a thorough discussion of the key players in the apartheid regime, including Mandela, F.W. de Klerk and Daniel Malan. It also features a full biography of these influential political figures, a valuable introduction to the political, social and economic context and an evaluation of the impact of the system on South Africa, giving you all the essential information about this brutal system of segregation.
Apartheid was a system of seperation introduced in South Africa. It kept the country’s different populations in certain areas, depending on ethnic or linguistic criteria, and was implemented by the National Party in 1948 to ensure the economic, social and political supremacy of white Africans over black Africans. The system came under vicious attack as the years went by, and eventually saw the rise of Nelson Mandela, one of the country’s most charismatic leaders. Although apartheid has since been abolished, the consequences and complications of this racist policy can still be felt to this day.
This clear and accessible 50-page book is structured as follows:
- Introduction to apartheid
- South Africa: colonisation and rivalries
- Omnipresent racial segregation
- The contradictions of South Africa at the end of the Second World War
- Key protagonists of apartheid
- Daniel Malan, Calvinist preacher and South African politician
- Nelson Mandela, South African lawyer and statesman
- F.W. de Klerk, South African statesman
- Setting up a regime of segregation
- South African resistance
- International condemnation
- The long process of abolishing apartheid
- Impact of apartheid
- The restoration of democracy in South Africa
- South Africa today
- A duty to remember?
50MINUTES.COM – History