There is arguably no group that has had as much of an influence on modern pop and rock music as the Beatles. The Liverpool-born band, made up of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, burst onto the scene in the early 1960s and inspired such passionate devotion that the fervor surrounding them was dubbed “Beatlemania” by the British press. With a staggering two billion albums sold worldwide, they remain one of the most successful groups of all time. In just 50 minutes, you will find out how the Beatles changed the music industry forever and learn about their vast and enduring influence on music, culture and social mores.
This straightforward and informative book provides a thorough discussion of the Beatles’ career, which spanned the entire 1960s and produced iconic albums including Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road. It also features a full biography, a valuable introduction to the group’s influences, including the hippie movement and Eastern philosophy, and an evaluation of the Beatles’ legacy, giving you all the essential information about one of the bestselling musical acts of all time.
About the Beatles
Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr were all born in Liverpool and met when they were in their teens to form the band that would later become known as the Beatles (earlier names include Johnny and the Moondogs, the Rainbows and the Silver Beetles). They had a string of chart-topping singles and albums throughout the 1960s, and for many people have come to symbolize this decade of wide-ranging social and cultural change. They split for good in 1970, but continue to influence singers and groups even today.
This clear and accessible 74-page book is structured as follows:
- Introduction to the Beatles
- Biography of the Beatles
- Early years, first meeting and musical debut (1950s-1961)
- Success and Beatlemania (1962-1965)
- Return to the studio and split (1966-1970)
- Political, social and economic context
- The advent of the consumer society
- Sex, drugs, rock ‘n’ roll and protests
- A decade of upheaval
- Formative years in Liverpool and Hamburg
- Epstein, Martin and “Love Me Do”
- Breaking America
- Worldwide success
- The end of touring, drugs and awards
- The first concept album in rock history?
- A difficult period in 1967
- India, “The White Album” and the first disagreements
- Abbey Road: the curtain call
- The Beatle’s impact
- The Beatles’ music
- Impact outside music
- Political and economic impact
50MINUTES.COM – History